Copthorne Chapel

Home Page
Who Are We?
The story so far...
Our Pastor
Services and Events
News from Sierra Leone
Gordon's travels in Sierra Leone
How can I become a Christian...?...
Baptisms in June 2006

Links

Countess of Huntingdon Connexion Website
Countess & Connexion
Food for Thought
Worth Parish Community Website
Crawley Down Village Website

Churches in the Connexion

The Countess Free Church, Ely
Ebley Chapel
Sheppey Evangelical Church
Shoreham Free Church
South Street Church Eastbourne
Woodmancote Evangelical Free Church, Woodmancote
 

Copthorne Chapel

War memorial


W.F. Brooker

 
 

In Memory of

Private WILLIAM FREDERICK BROOKER
6505, 1st/7th Bn., Middlesex Regiment
who died age 20 on 01 August 1916
Son of Frederick and Alice Brooker, of Perry Cottage, West Park, Lingfield, Surrey.
Native of Newchapel, Lingfield.
Remembered with honour
HEBUTERNE MILITARY CEMETERY Grave reference II.L.7

 

E.A. Arnold

E.T. Brackpool

W.F. Brooker

A. Daniels

W.R.Habgood

F.R. Harding

P. Locke

W. Langridge

Back to Memorial Page

 

  

     

Location Information:

Hebuterne is a village 15 kilometres north of Albert (Somme) and 20 kilometres south-west of Arras. Using the D919 from Arras to Amiens you will drive through the villages of Bucquoy, Puisieux then Serre Les Puisieux (approximately 20 kilometres south of Arras). On leaving Serre Les Puisieux, 3 kilometres further along the D919, turn right following the signs for Hebuterne. Hebuterne Military Cemetery lies to the west of the village and a CWGC signpost clearly indicates the way from the village green.

Historical Information:

The village gave its name to a severe action fought by the French on the 10th-13th June, 1915, in the "Second Battle of Artois". It was taken over by British troops from the French in the same summer, and it remained subject to shell fire during the Battles of the Somme. It was again the scene of fighting in March, 1918, when the New Zealand Division held up the advancing enemy; and during the following summer it was partly in German hands. It was later "adopted" by the Borough of Evesham. Hebuterne Military Cemetery was begun by the 48th (South Midland) Division in August, 1915, and used by fighting units and Field Ambulances (particularly those of the 56th (London) Division) until the spring of 1917; and it was reopened in 1918. The conditions of burial explain the irregularity of the rows. There are now over 750, 1914-18 war casualties commemorated in this site. Of these, nearly 50 are unidentified and special memorials are erected to 17 soldiers from the United Kingdom, known or believed to be buried among them. The graves of two American soldiers have been removed from the South-West corner. The cemetery covers an area of 6,502 square metres and is enclosed by a red brick wall.

No. of Identified Casualties:

712

J.C. Gerrard.

J. Mason

W. Mason

A. Mitchell

W. T. Mitchell

E.S. Plaws

F. Stevens

J. Tester

Back to Memorial Page

 

Copyright Copthorne Chapel AD 2001 | Webmaster r.bailey@pncl.co.uk  | Top |  Last Updated: 28 October 2008 23:25