Copthorne Chapel

Home Page
Who Are We?
The story so far...
Our Pastor
Services and Events
News from Sierra Leone
Gordon's travels in Sierra Leone
How can I become a Christian...?...
Baptisms in June 2006

Links

Countess of Huntingdon Connexion Website
Countess & Connexion
Food for Thought
Worth Parish Community Website
Crawley Down Village Website

Churches in the Connexion

The Countess Free Church, Ely
Ebley Chapel
Sheppey Evangelical Church
Shoreham Free Church
South Street Church Eastbourne
Woodmancote Evangelical Free Church, Woodmancote
 

Copthorne Chapel

War memorial


J. Tester

 
 

In Memory of
Private J TESTER

70170, 16th Bn., Sherwood Foresters (Notts and Derby Regiment)
who died age 37 on 13 October 1916
Son of Jabez and Amelia Tester, of Crawley Down, Sussex.

Remembered with honour
BOULOGNE EASTERN CEMETERY Grave reference VIII.D.139

 

E.A. Arnold

E.T. Brackpool

W.F. Brooker

A. Daniels

W.R.Habgood

F.R. Harding

P. Locke

W. Langridge

Back to Memorial Page

 

 

J.C. Gerrard.

J. Mason

W. Mason

A. Mitchell

W. T. Mitchell

E.S. Plaws

F. Stevens

J. Tester

Back to Memorial Page

 
 

Visiting information: Opening times: This Cemetery is open 7 days a week, all year round. From 1 October to 15 March: 08.00 - 18.00 From 16 March to 30 September: 08.00 - 19.00 Wheelchair access to this cemetery with some difficulty. For further information regarding wheelchair access, please contact our Enquiries Section on telephone number 01628 507200.

Location information: Boulogne-sur-Mer is a large Channel port. Boulogne Eastern Cemetery, one of the town cemeteries, lies in the district of St Martin Boulogne, just beyond the eastern (Chateau) corner of the Citadel (Haute-Ville). The cemetery is a large civil cemetery, split in two by the Rue de Dringhem, just south of the main road (RN42) to St Omer. The Commonwealth War Graves plot is located down the western edge of the southern section of the cemetery, with an entrance in the Rue de Dringhen. Car parking is available along the Rue de Dringhen.

Historical Information: Boulogne, was one of the three base ports most extensively used by the Commonwealth armies on the Western Front throughout the First World War. It was closed and cleared on the 27 August when the Allies were forces to fall back ahead of the German advance, but was opened again in October and from that month to the end of the war, Boulogne and Wimereux formed one of the chief hospital areas. Until June 1918, the dead from the hospitals at Boulogne itself were buried in the Cimetiere de L'Est, one of the town cemeteries, the Commonwealth graves forming a long, narrow strip along the right hand edge of the cemetery. In the spring of 1918, it was found that space was running short in the Eastern Cemetery in spite of repeated extensions to the south, and the site of the new cemetery at Terlincthun was chosen. During the Second World War, hospitals were again posted to Boulogne for a short time in May 1940. The town was taken by the Germans at the end of that month and remained in their hands until recaptured by the Canadians on 22 September 1944. Boulogne Eastern Cemetery contains 5,577 Commonwealth burials of the First World War and 224 from the Second World War. The Commonwealth plots were designed by Charles Holden.

No. of Identified Casualties:                           5743

 

 

 

 

Copyright Copthorne Chapel AD 2001 | Webmaster r.bailey@pncl.co.uk  | Top |  Last Updated: 11 February 2009 17:35